Wednesday, August 11, 2010

{Squiggly brackets}..... mysterious, magical, monumental symbols for beginner scrapbookers

Can anyone please tell me what these things are called?  {  }
Are they brackets?
Squiggly vertical lines?

Hold please, I'll ask Google.

(returning three minutes later)... Here is what Wikipedia says: curly brackets, squiggly brackets, definite brackets, swirly brackets, birdie brackets, Scottish brackets, squirrelly brackets, braces, or gullwings: { }

Whatever you choose to call them, they are used A TON in the scrapbooking world.  I wasn't quite sure what made them so damn important until I created the layout above.

The photos were perfectly in place...

I had my title and letters all picked out...

I knew I wanted to create a little flower garden in the bottom corner...

But there was no cohesion between the title and the rest of the elements... (back to Google for a definition of cohesion: [kəʊˈhiːʒən] n. the act or state of cohering; tendency to unite)

It then occurred to me that I needed some way to frame the title of the page (queue music and enter squiggly bracket things stage left)

I don't know why squiggly bracket things are so magical, but they pretty much are the cat's meow, the unicorn's horn, the best thing since sliced bread.  They have a strange way of bringing it all together when something just seems to be missing.  Give them a try... you'll be hooked on the squiggles faster than the disappearance of Coach purses at a 50% off outlet sale...

...and here are a few more layout pics, for the die hard fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.